Want to experience Android 5.1 on your Galaxy S3 today? Even newer smartphones like Galaxy S6 and HTC One M9 don’t have Android 5.1 yet but you can already get it for your Galaxy S3 through CM12.1 ROM.
The CM12.1 ROM builds are available for all AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, Verizon, Canadian, and GT-i9300 Galaxy S3 models. Although these are unofficial builds compiled from CyanogenMod sources, they are actually pretty stable, I haven’t found a single bug yet so far.
Since the update from Android 5.0.2 to 5.1 wasn’t a complete overhaul of the OS, we suspect that has a lot to do with its stability as developers don’t have to start from scratch to make everything integrated/stable.
Overall, Android 5.1 is going to give you the most performance improvement over previous Android OS versions along with much improved battery life. If you can’t afford a new phone but you want to upgrade your phone for free, CM12.1 ROM may be the best way to do that so definitely give these builds a try and do let me know what you think!
(These unofficial builds are compiled from official Cyanogen sources, no bug found so far.)
You will find easy drop-down WiFi and bluetooth shortcuts, which is a new feature of Android 5.1.
With Android 5.1 CM12.1 ROM, you can specify exactly which apps can notify you and also set the priority for these notifications.
Have more than one user? Take advantage of Android 5.1 Lollipop multi-user feature.
Camera and camcorder work flawless and CM12.1 comes with rotating launcher.
Download Android 5.1 Gapps for CM12.1 (DO NOT USE older Gapps, you will FC!!!)
To install, reboot into recovery, make backup ROM, format /system, wipe data/factory reset, install ROM, install Gapps, and reboot.
If you have AT&T or Verizon S3 with locked bootloader (Android 4.3 or up) and using SafeStrap, YOU CANNOT INSTALL THIS ROM, SORRY!
First time installing a custom ROM? See How to Install Custom ROM on Galaxy S3!
Can’t find root? See How to Enable Root on CM12!
- Want Flash Player? See How to Install Flash Player on Android Lollipop!
- If you want some awesome audio, check out Viper4Audio FX MOD, which you can install on this ROM to enhance your music 100%.
- If you want to run your apps in tablet/hybrid/custom DPI mode, see our Xposed App Settings guide.
- If you want PIE Controls, see our LMT Pie Control guide.
- Need to run apps that check for root? Check out How to Run Apps that’s don’t run on rooted Android!
- Want to listen to YouTube music with screen off? Check out How to Playback YouTube videos with Screen-Off!
- Need multi-window? Check out How to Add Multi-Window to Any Rooted Android!